Modern technology, innovative techniques and new research have allowed more pharmacists to customize medications. Compounding offers customized care to meet the specific needs of individual patients.
Working with your health care provider, a compounding pharmacist can:
- Add flavor to your medication
- Customize strength or dosage
- Modify the form of your medication to make it easier to use or ingest
- Adjust the strength of your medication tailored to your specific needs
- Combine medications into one, easy-to-use form
- In some cases, formulate medications that are no longer manufactured
What kinds of prescriptions can be compounded?
Compounded Medications can be used across a wide variety of specialties.
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy
- Pain management
- Otic (for the ear)
- Sports medicine
- Wound and scar therapy
- Medication flavoring